The Friends of the Oro Valley Public Library, Inc.
The corporation is formed for those purposes as follows:
FRIENDS OF THE ORO VALLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY is a volunteer, non-profit organization which exists to encourage and receive gifts, endowments and bequests to the library, and to support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights.
- Support the Oro Valley Public Library to enhance our cultural quality of life.
- Encourage use of library resources and services.
- Promote the value of the library in the community.
- Interact with the library leadership and staff.
- Provide volunteer help.
- Advocate for the Oro Valley Public Library or other general library issues.
- Assist with programming for life long learning.
- Raise money to enhance the general library budget.
- Collaborate with other community organizations.
The Friends of the Oro Valley Public Library (Friends) is an all volunteer support group for the Oro Valley Public Library. It consists of a Board of Directors and members. Membership dues start at $10 per annum. Many members become library and Friends volunteers; however, not all volunteers are members. All Board members must be members of the Friends.
The Friends is incorporated and files an annual tax return prepared by a CPA. Information on the financial procedures of the Friends may be found in the Financial Guidelines Handbook.
The Board meets every month, September through May, on the second Thursday of the month at 3:00 PM at the Library. In May, following the Board meeting, an Annual meeting is held. At this meetings, the Nominating Committee presents a slate of officers, nominations are accepted from the floor, and a vote is taken. The Bylaws state that the Board shall consist of 7-11 members. Members serve staggered three-year terms.
The Friends operate a very successful used book operation with two book shops and bi-annual book sales held in the Library. Book sales are the primary means by which the Friends raise money for the Library. A used jewelry sale has been held with some success.